Prof. Dayananda Siddavattam, Senior Professor at the Department of Animal Biology, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, has been selected as the Vice Chancellor of Gitam University, Visakhapatnam.
Prof. Dayananda Siddavattam is a recent recipient of the prestigious JC Bose fellowship which is awarded to active scientists in recognition of their outstanding performance.
Prof. Dayananda’s areas of research include Molecular Microbiology, Environmental Microbiology and Regulation of Gene Expression.
Prof. Dayananda has been selected for many National & International Awards and Honours which include Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad, India (NASI); Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, India; Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, India; Andhra Pradesh Scientist Award-2008 – by The State Council of Science and Technology, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, India; Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences (FAPAS), 2006; Recipient of the International Research Development Award – by The Wellcome Trust, UK; Recipient of UGC Mid-Career award-2019.
Fellowships awarded to Prof. Dayananda
- UGC National Visiting Associate: (1985 to 1988 – three months in a year). Awarded by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi, to work in the laboratory of Prof. P. S. Sastry, Dept. of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- DAAD Fellow (1988-90): Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Ministry of Science and Technology, Federal Republic of Germany to work on plasmid encoded nif genes of Enterobacter agglomerans in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller, Institute for Genetics, University of Bayreuth, D-95440, Bayreuth, Germany.
- Visiting Scientist (1992-93): Sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology (BMFT), Bonn, Germany, to work in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller.
DAAD Fellow (short-term, May to July 1995): Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Germany, to continue the collaborative research activities with Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller.
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellow (1995-1996): Sponsored jointly by the British Council, London, and the University Grants Commission, New Delhi to conduct postdoctoral research in collaboration with Dr. M. J. Merrick, Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory, John Innes Centre, Norwich NR4 7UH, U. K.
- Visiting Scientist (2005-07-three months in each year): Sponsored jointly by National Sciences Foundation, USA and the Dept. of Science and Technology, New Delhi, to execute collaborative research work with Prof. J. Wild, Dept. of Biochemistry, Texas A&M University, Texas, USA (2007 to 2010, three months in a year).
- DAAD Fellow ( September to November, 2010 ): Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Germany, to work as a Visiting Scientist in the Dept. of Microbiology, University of Halle, Germany.
Research Projects and Patent:
Prof. Dayananda has received research grants from several national and international funding agencies like DST, DBT, CSIR, CSIR (NMITLI), DRDO, British Council, UK; The Wellcome Trust, UK; National Science Foundation, USA and successfully executed major research projects.
His research findings are published in several national and international journals. He has collaborated with Biotech companies like Nagarjuna Fertilizers and Chemicals, Biological E. Pvt. Ltd and Aurobindo Pharma to develop / optimize product development process and he owns a Patent Titled “GENETICALLY TRANSFORMED MICROORGANISM FOR BIOMASS FERMENTATION (WO/2009/113101): PCT/IN2009/000105”.
Prof. Dayananda has successfully guided 20 research scholars so far.