Prof. S. Dayananda, Dean School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad (UoH) has been selected for the ‘UGC-BSR Mid-Career Award’ for the Year 2019-2020.This award is granted to faculty/Professors to pursue their research in their specialized areas and who have successfully supervised the Ph.D. dissertation of 15 full-time candidates, 5 of whom should have received their degrees during the preceding 5 years. The awardees should also successfully complete at least 5 sponsored research projects funded by national / international government or private agencies. The grant under this award is Rs.10.00 lakhs.
Prof. Dayananda has received several awards like Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, India, Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (NASI), India 2010. Andhra Pradesh Scientist Award – 2008 by AP State Council of Science and Technology, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh. Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences (FAPAS), 2006 and International Research Development Award by The Wellcome Trust, UK.
Prof. S. Dayananda has also worked for many Fellowships which include:
- UGC National Visiting Associate from 1985 to 1988, (Tenable for three months in each year) by University Grants Commission, New Delhi, India and worked in the laboratory of Prof. P. S. Sastry, Dept. of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- DAAD Fellow (1988-90) conducted postdoctoral research in Federal Republic of Germany and worked in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller, Institute for Genetics, University of Bayreuth, Germany.
- Visiting Scientist Fellowship sponsored by Ministry of Science and Technology (BMFT), Bonn; Germany and worked in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller from May, 1992 to January 1993.
- DAAD Senior Research Fellow (May to July 1995) by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to continue the collaborative research activities with Prof. Dr. W. Klingmuller.
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship (1995-1996), Sponsored jointly by British Council, London and University Grants Commission, New Delhi and conducted postdoctoral research in collaboration with Dr. M. J. Merrick, Nitrogen Fixation Laboratory, John Innes Centre, Norwich NR4 7UH, U. K.
- DAAD Senior Research Fellow (June to August, 2010) to work as visiting Scientist in The Dept. of Microbiology, University of Halle, Germany.
Research Projects and Patent:
Prof. Dayananda has received research grants from several national and international funding agencies like DST, DBT, CSIR, CSIR (NMITLI), DRDO, British Council, UK; The Wellcome Trust, UK; National Science Foundation, USA and successfully executed major research projects.
His research findings are published in several national and international journals. He has collaboration with Biotech companies like Nagarjuna Fertilizers and Chemicals, Biological E. Pvt. Ltd and Aurabindo Pharma to develop / optimize product development process and he owns a Patent Titled “GENETICALLY TRANSFORMED MICROORGANISM FOR BIOMASS FERMENTATION (WO/2009/113101): PCT/IN2009/000105”.
Prof. Dayananda has successfully guided 16 students as on date.