Nine professors of UoH appointed Vice-Chancellors/Director in the last 12 months
Another 16 have earlier served as Vice-Chancellor’s / Directors of Universities and Institutions of repute
This achievement is one of its kinds in the history of the University
Established in 1974 on a modest note the University of Hyderabad (UoH) has in its journey of four decades made a name for itself in teaching and research not only in the country but also abroad. Today the institution has close to 400 faculty who are among the top in their related field. As one of the Country’s most innovative and vibrant universities, the UoH is recognised as being at the forefront of the frontier research agenda across a wide range of disciplines. The faculty of the University are among the best in the World and have won several national and international recognitions in addition to having more than 250 ongoing research projects to their credit worth 270 crore rupees.
The UoH has been declared as the Best Central University for the year 2015. The University was given the Visitors Award by the Hon’ble President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee. It is a matter of pride that UoH has been ranked among the best in the world by UK Based Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) to study English Language & Literature; Chemistry and Physics in the year 2016. In the field of English it is the only institution from India that has been listed in the world rankings. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) of the MHRD, Government of India has ranked the University fourth best in the Country for the year 2016.
Another marker of its eminence and visibility is the fact that its faculty members have regularly been appointed Vice Chancellors and Directors of leading institutions in the country. The last twelve months have been unique in this regard when nine senior professors of the University were appointed as Vice-Chancellors or Director of various Universities and Institutions all over the country. This achievement is one of its kinds in the history of the University.
The senior faculty who have been appointed VC’s / Director are:
1. Prof. S Mohanty (English) appointed VC of Central University of Orissa
2. Prof. P Appa Rao (Plant Sciences) appointed VC of University of Hyderabad
3. Prof. A K Pujari (Computer & Information Sciences) appointed VC of Central University of Rajasthan
4. Prof. Rattanlal Hangloo (History) appointed VC of University of Allahabad
5. Prof. Ashwani Nangia (Chemistry) appointed Director of National Chemical Laboratory
6. Prof. Y Narasimhulu (UGC-HRD centre) appointed VC of Rayalseema University
7. Prof. P C Sarangi (Political Science) appointed VC of Ravenshaw University
8. Prof. K K Misra (Anthropology) appointed VC of Utkal University of Culture
9. Prof. Attipalli R Reddy (Plant Sciences) appointed VC of Yogi Vemana University
Before this the University has had the honour of having many of its faculty members serve as Vice-Chancellors and Directors of Universities and Research Institutions of repute, and hold positions of high distinctions.
1. Prof. Goverdhan Mehta (Chemistry) as VC of UoH and later, Director of IISc, Bengaluru
2. Prof. G S Agarwal (Physics) as Director of National Physical Laboratory, Ahmedabad and as Noble Foundation Chair and Regents
Professor, Department of Physics, Oklahoma State University
3. Prof. Shanta Sinha (Political Science) as Chairperson, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights
4. Prof. A K Bhatnagar (Physics) as VC of Pondicherry University
5. Prof. Rajan Harshe (Political Science) as VC of Allahabad University
6. Prof. B P Sanjay (Communication) as Director Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi, and later founding VC of Central
University of Tamil Nadu
7. Prof. G Nancharaiah (Economics) as VC of Dr. B R Ambedkar University, Lucknow
8. Prof. E D Jemmis (Chemistry) as Director of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
9. Prof. P S Zacharias (Chemistry) as VC of Goa University, Goa
10. Prof. Arjula R Reddy (Plant Sciences) as VC of Yogi Vemana University, Kadapa, AP
11. Prof. A K Pujari (Computer & Information Sciences) as VC of Berhampur University, Orissa
12. Prof. Rattan Lal Hangloo (History) as VC of Kalyani University, West Bengal
13. Prof. RVR Chandrashekar Rao (Political Science) as VC of Dr B R Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
14. Prof. Ratna Naidu (Sociology) as VC of Sri Padmavati Mahila University, Tirupathi, AP
15. Prof. R Srihari (Telugu) as VC of Dravidian University, Kuppam, AP
16. Prof. U N Singh (Applied Linguistics & Translational Studies) as Director of Central Institute of Indian Languages (CIIL), Mysuru
The faculty have been actively engaged in research and this has led to the University having to its credit 17 (Indian and international) patents issued out of the 42 that have been filed since inception, covering various science and engineering research disciplines.” Out of the seventeen patents granted to nine faculty members, 5 are Indian; 10 are US; 3 are European and 1 is a Canadian patent. Some of these patents are approved in India as well as in the US, Europe and Canada. Three of our patents have been transferred to Biotech Consortium India Limited (BCIL) for commercialization.
In the years to come the University’s focus will continue to be Research & Innovation with an emphasis on contributions that will shape the society. The faculty and research students/staff at the University of Hyderabad will continue with their commitment towards society-relevant, path-breaking research in the coming years. UoH would like to be one of the Global Universities to reckon with in the coming years.